Hey everyone, my name is Dimitris Couchell and I am a graduate of the MSIS program at UNC. Like most of you, I have been really frustrated with the lack of a real Android Facebook application. Neither Facebook or Google want to develop an official app and the only one who gets shafted are us the consumers.
I have decided to handle this on my own since it appears there won’t be any application soon. It is a pity, because the Android OS has great capabilities and its popularity is increasing. For that reason, I have been developing a native (not a wrapper of m.facebook.com or any website) Facebook application with a variety of cool features using the Facebook API.
I have read numerous sites, blogs, facebook groups and I have prepared a list of features that the first version of the app will come with. In particular:
- Real time view of the stream with comments , not only status updates but photo posts, video posts and wall-to-wall posts
- Comment on every post on the stream, manage your own posts and comments
- Ability to “Like” or “Unlike” posts
- Ability to post and share wall posts, videos, photos to the stream and other users
- Ability to filter stream posts (by people, by type such as video, photos, specific user or time)
- Friends Manager: All your friends in one place. Search for friends like facebook using auto-complete, view their profiles, add them to your contacts
- Photo viewer: Create albums, upload pictures to albums, browse all your photos and photos of others using your phones capabilities and speed. No more waiting on external websites to load and a much better UI.
- Events manager: Create, manage and RSVP to upcoming events
- Event Directions: Receive real time directions to an event from wherever you are
- Notifications Manager: Set automatic notifications for anything you would like such as messages, birthdays, wall posts, events etc.
Some of you have requested a chat functionality. Based on the current Facebook API this can happen only for android-to-android users. If this is popular enough I will be glad to incorporate it.
What do I ask from you?
Nothing more than your support. Leave a comment here, post what you would like to see included or discarded, or how much you cannot wait for it :). If you are a facebook user (if not you should be!), you may join this group!
Before I go…here are 6 screenshots of the app running on Android 1.5, enjoy!